Glass beads for A, for later play, and virtual knowledge for the digitally remastered life
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
An Intelligent Person
An Intelligent Person's Guide to Modern Culture. I read this book in translation and a handful of Roger Scruton's articles on American Spectator or elsewhere. He is a voice for foro interno and solid arguments.
thanks for the honor and skeptical is fine; and when it comes to my blog, is necessary.
To your comment: I'm not sure how to respond: is it a sin? His? Mine? You see, why you should be skeptical of this blog?
3 things about RS. I like his smart, solid writing; I think it's a textbook example of how to structure your thought. His ideas on education, aesthetics, policy are lean, fit, and sensible to the reality I see. Ultimately, he is of an exemplary erudition I find it hard not to admire (the manner in which he employs it, as well).
I wrote you a reply at 5.30 in the morning (don't ask!) but it is now floating out there, lost somewhere in cyberspace. Ho hum.
I've only read parts of his 'green philosophy' (good) and a great little essay on 'fakeness'. I don't know if 'sin' is the right word-sounds a bit too old-world, old country, but yes, maybe there is *some* kind of failing if you're right-wing. Hmm. that really does make me sound silly, doesn't it? :-) I've got a class in a short while and woefully under-prepared. Will try and collect my thoughts after a coffee and croissant (yes, seems unlikely, I know!)
Isn't he a bit right wing...or is that just a common perception? Sorry that my first comment on your blog should be so sceptical. Hello, Lea.
ReplyDeleteHello b,
ReplyDeletethanks for the honor and skeptical is fine; and when it comes to my blog, is necessary.
To your comment: I'm not sure how to respond: is it a sin? His? Mine? You see, why you should be skeptical of this blog?
3 things about RS. I like his smart, solid writing; I think it's a textbook example of how to structure your thought. His ideas on education, aesthetics, policy are lean, fit, and sensible to the reality I see. Ultimately, he is of an exemplary erudition I find it hard not to admire (the manner in which he employs it, as well).
btw, what's on your list of intelligent people?
Hello, Lea!
ReplyDeleteI wrote you a reply at 5.30 in the morning (don't ask!) but it is now floating out there, lost somewhere in cyberspace. Ho hum.
I've only read parts of his 'green philosophy' (good) and a great little essay on 'fakeness'. I don't know if 'sin' is the right word-sounds a bit too old-world, old country, but yes, maybe there is *some* kind of failing if you're right-wing. Hmm. that really does make me sound silly, doesn't it? :-) I've got a class in a short while and woefully under-prepared. Will try and collect my thoughts after a coffee and croissant (yes, seems unlikely, I know!)
Best,
b.